Makes: one 8x12” galette, serves 4
Prep Time: 30 minutes, plus chill time
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Baked on our Sustainable and non-toxic parchment paper, this Savory Spring Veggie Galette is the perfect dish to serve for breakfast or brunch! It’s is stuffed with asparagus, leeks, and grape tomatoes and has golden brown flakey crust.
For the crust
1 cup (125 g) all purpose flour
1/4 cup (45 g) cornmeal
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup (113 g) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
3-4 tbsp ice water
For the galette
5 oz goat cheese, softened
Zest of one lemon
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
6 oz asparagus, trimmed
1/2 of a leek, thinly sliced
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, and salt.
- Add the cubes of butter and toss to coat with the flour. Use your fingers to work the butter into the flour, until butter is pea-sized. Add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until pie dough holds together when squeezed in your fist.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly-floured work surface and knead briefly, until all of the flour has been worked in and no dry spots remain.
- Shape the dough into a rectangular disc and wrap tightly in For Good Compostable Plastic Wrap. Chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Remove the dough from the refrigerator, unwrap and sandwich between two sheets of For Good Parchment Paper. Roll the dough into a rectangle, about 8 1/2” x 12” in size and about 1/4 of an inch thick and trim the edges to neaten and straighten.
- Remove the top layer of parchment paper and then transfer the rolled out dough and bottom piece of parchment paper to the sheet pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together goat cheese, lemon zest, salt, 1/4 tsp of black pepper, and dill. Transfer the mixture to the center of the pie dough and spread into an even layer over the surface, leaving about an 1” of pie dough on each side.
- Arrange thinly sliced leeks over the goat cheese mixture, followed by the asparagus in an even layer. Sprinkle halved tomatoes over the top.
- Fold the edges of the pie dough up and over the filling to form a crust, pressing the corners to seal. Brush the surface of the dough with the beaten egg and then sprinkle with the remaining black pepper.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the crust is deeply golden brown. Let cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Tip for rolling out pie dough:
- Rolling your pie dough between two sheets of parchment paper keeps it from sticking to the counter and makes less mess.