Makes: one 9” pie, serves 8
Prep Time: 30 minutes, plus chilling time
Cook Time: 1 hour
Just in time for spring, this Strawberry Crumble Pie with an elderflower twist is the perfect way to use those spring and summer strawberries! When you’re done serving, use our Compostable Clear Wrap to save and store in the fridge for later.
For the crust
1 1/4 cup (156 g) all purpose flour
2 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup (113 g) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
3-4 tbsp ice water
For the crumble
1/4 cup (35 g) all purpose flour
1/2 cup (50 g) rolled oats
3 tbsp (40 g) brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
Zest of one lemon
1/2 tsp kosher salt
4 tbsp (57 g) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
For the filling
2 lbs strawberries, frozen or fresh, trimmed (about 6 cups)
3/4 cup (165 g) granulated sugar
Juice of one lemon
Pinch of salt
6 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup St. Germaine
To make the crust
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Add the cubed butter and toss to coat in the flour mixture. Use your hands to work the butter into the flour until broken down into pea-sized pieces.
- Add the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, just until the dough begins to come together when squeezed in a fist. Transfer the dough to a clean work surface and knead briefly, just until no dry spots remain.
- Shape the dough into a disc and wrap tightly in For Good Compostable Plastic Wrap. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill for at least an hour.
- After the dough has chilled, unwrap it and place it between two sheets of For Good Parchment Paper. Roll the dough out into a circle about 11” in diameter and about 1/4” thick.
- Carefully transfer the dough to a pie plate and trim the edges, leaving about an inch overhang. Fold the excess dough under and then use your fingers to crimp the edges. Transfer to the freezer for about 30 minutes while you prepare the filling and crumble.
To make the crumble:
- Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cardamom, lemon zest, and salt in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the cold butter and beat for 1-2 minutes, until the butter has been worked in and no dry spots remain. The mixture should be crumbly. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill while you make the filling.
To make the filling and assemble the pie:
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- In a large pot, stir together strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and salt. Cook over medium-heat high, stirring frequently, for 15-20 minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved and the strawberries have started to break down.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together the cornstarch and St. Germaine until smooth. Bring the strawberry filling to a boil and slowly add the cornstarch mixture, stirring continually. When all of the cornstarch has been added, continue cooking for 1-2 minutes, until thickened. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, take the pie dough from the freezer and place it on a sheet pan lined with For Good Parchment Paper to catch any overflow.
- Pour the strawberry filling into the pie shell and sprinkle the crumble in an even layer over the top. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and strawberry filling is bubbly. Let cool completely in the pan before slicing and serving.
*If you prefer, you can substitute the St. Germaine with water for a more traditional Strawberry Crumble Pie.
RECIPE BY: ANNA RAMIZ @GATHEREDATMYTABLE